Search and Care’s Volunteer Program plays a vital role in helping older adults with tasks that might otherwise go under the radar. The agency’s Volunteer Coordinator reaches out into our communities (Yorkville, Carnegie Hill, East Harlem) to cultivate, train, and add inter-generational/multicultural volunteers to our current team of 175-plus. Volunteers help with:
- Companionship, visiting, and conversation
- Shopping, prescription pickups, and errands—particularly for the homebound
- Strolls through the neighborhood
- Technology tutorials (internet, email, e-books)
- Socialization and entertainment activities (e.g. playing board games)
- Pet upkeep and friendly dog visits for primarily homebound clients
- Administrative assistance and help at the reception desk
The volunteer application process consists of an interview, completion of a questionnaire, a reference/background check, and an orientation. All volunteers are provided with regular ongoing support from the Volunteer Coordinators.
For further information, please contact: Robin Strashun, Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator.
Note- Some of these in-home services are on hiatus due to COVID. if you are interested in tech volunteering please reach out to Michelle Carr or Jacob Gonzalez, Connectivity Coordinators. Due to the changing nature of COVID 19 please reach out to agency for current status on program/service.